Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fall finally came!

Today it got cold for the first time. It's making me think about everyone back in Moscow. I hear that it's been getting down to 15 at nights? I hope it doesn't ever get that cold here... I only brought a light jacket with me. Anyway, in answer to the cold weather, my host family turned on the floor heater, which is really good at relieving "ice butt" (a condition where your rear wont warm back up, no matter what you do). I think that I might never sit on the couch again! It's so warm and lovely on the floor now.

They also got out the table futon thingy that I can't seem to remember the name to remember what is called for more than a few seconds.

Aside from weather and studying for an ever-impending test, Bibi-kun, Miya-chan, Takeshi-san and myself went to make paper today. There were a bunch of really nice old ladies there to help us stumble through the process, and in my case, they were nice enough to dumb down their Japanese so I could understand. They kept saying this one word over and over... I gather that it probably means to dry, because eventually, one of them said 焼く which means to fry. We were each supposed to make 3 sheets, but because I couldn't think in japanese fast enough, one of the older ladies took my paper and squeezed out all the water before I could decorate it, so I ended up with 4. All in all, a very busy day.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty paper..me like! I've always wanted to make paper...I even have a paper making kit that I've never used. Maybe you can show me how to do it when you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That paper is wonderful, its fitting that such a nice thing have an adventure behing its making.

    I'm glad its staying relativly warm there. Its cooled down here, but here in our new place we have a fireplace so we can solve our problems like gamers. With fire. (The animals love this solution, and form semicircles around it.)

    Best of luck on your next test, show it the wrath of a not really samurai/Japanese girl. Which is to say, take it shopping and convince it to buy very uncomfortable and unflattering shoes. Take that, test.

    ReplyDelete